Salmon Croquettes

So, I had the in-laws over and fixed these for everyone.  I did one batch in my stainless steel pan (bad mistake) and the other batch in my non-stick pan (better choice).  My mom used to make these when I was little, we really had no idea with the fancy name that it was made out of fish, so I got this recipe from one of my mom's old cookbooks, so old in fact that I want to quote something from it, because I love the time that this signifies.  It is about a recipe for Jo's green beans that she has and she says, "Jo Decker gave me this recipe. It is always a hit with men-who else do you really cook for?"  It made me smile, what a long time ago huh? Times have changed! Anyways, I am going to just put the recipe down like she has it, she writes her recipes really cool.

Drain and mash well........................................1 lb can SALMON
Blend in............................................................1 C. POTATOES, mashed
Add...................................................................1/2 C. Cracker Crumbs (I used Brown Rice Bread crumbs)
                                                                          1 Tsp. SALT
                                                                          1 EGG, beaten
                                                                          1 Tbsp. PARSLEY, chopped (I used dried)
                                                                          1 small onion, cut very fine (I used like barely 1/2 cup)
                                                                          1 Tsp. LEE & PERRIN worchestershire sauce
Mix well and form mixture into croquettes-any
size or shape you prefer-and roll in..................1/2 C. Cracker Crumbs (or Brown Rice Bread Crumbs)
Fry in hot...........................................................Oil (of your choice, I used grape seed, it's best at high temps)

*Bread meat or fish for dinner in the morning. The coating will stay on better after a few hours in the refrigerator.  (I did this and it's true!)

*I doubled the recipe since I had company over.

*Wanted to give credit to where it's due: this is an older cookbook my mom uses called, "Mother Jane's Prescription For Hunger". You can find it on amazon but that is about it and it's almost $200!!! I guess because it is out of print now and you can't find them anywhere, so I will try to share lots of recipe's out of this one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment